Antarctic Wildlife Conservation
ASOC also conducts campaigns and projects to accomplish specific conservation objectives. Currently, our major areas of focus are:
- Protecting krill, the base of the Antarctic ecosystem and the primary food for many species of penguins, whales and seals.
- Creating a network of marine reserves or marine protected areas (MPAs) in the Southern Ocean, including the Ross Sea, that will set aside areas representative of most major Antarctic marine habitats.
- Ensuring a precautionary approach to the management of Southern Ocean fisheries.
- Preserving the integrity of the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary.
- Conserving albatross and petrel species that are threatened by illegal and legal longline fishing.
We encourage you to learn more about Antarctica’s wildlife and what you can do to help protect its unique and amazing creatures.